Chestnuts add a delicious texture and flavor to the stuffing. Perfect for Thanksgiving or holiday stuffing, or a fall treat.
- 2 cups chestnuts
- 1 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 lb (2 loaves) day-old bread, cubed
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
- With a sharp knife, cut crisscrosses into the flat side of the chestnuts. Place nuts in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to boil. Cook 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain, peel, and chop
- Place cubed bread onto a baking sheet or casserole dish
- In small bowl, beat eggs and milk. Drizzle mixture over cubed bread.
- Bake 30-45 minutes in oven until surface is crisp and lightly browned.